Article I. Name
Article II. Purpose
Article III. Membership
Article IV. Officers
Article V. Meetings
Article VI. Executive Board
Article VII. Committees
Article VIII. Parliamentary Authority
Article IX. Affiliation With Other Associations
Article X. Amendments
This regional group, a section of the New England Library Association (NELA), shall be known as the New England Technical Services Librarians (NETSL).
The purpose of the section shall be to bring together for the exchange of ideas and discussion of issues all persons in the region interested in library technical services. The organization also serves to foster cooperation with regional and national agencies having related interests.
Any person who is a member of NELA and is interested in library technical services may become a member of the section.
- There shall be a President, a Vice-President/President Elect, a Secretary, an Outreach Officer, a Treasurer, a Past President, and an Archivist. The Secretary, Outreach Officer and Treasurer shall be elected annually by ballot for a term of one year. The Vice-President shall be elected by ballot for a term of three years and shall serve as Vice-President, President, and Past President respectively. The Archivist shall be appointed by the President, in consultation with the Vice-President. A year shall be a period beginning with the adjournment of the Fall Meeting and ending with the adjournment of the next Fall Meeting. No person, with the exception of the Archivist, shall serve more than two consecutive terms in the same office. All officers of the Executive Board shall be members of the New England Library Association (NELA).
- The President shall: preside at Executive Board meetings; serve on the Executive Board as Past President for one year; appoint up to two members-at-large, committee chairpersons and committee members, as required, often in conjunction with the Vice-President / President Elect; serve as NETSL representative on the NELA Executive Board (or appoint a representative to that group); plan programs for the spring and fall meetings; prepare, each fall, an annual budget estimate for NETSL; and prepare, each summer, an annual report and forward one copy to the NELA Executive Secretary.
- The Vice-President/President Elect shall: perform the duties of the President in the absence of the latter; with the President, appoint up to two members-at-large, committee chairpersons and committee members, as required; in conjunction with the President and in consultation with the Executive Board, develop the slate of candidates for the annual election; coordinate the activities related to choosing the recipient of the NETSL awards; coordinate the evaluations for NETSL programs; and assist the President in program planning.
- The Secretary shall: take minutes at business meetings; and distribute all official records and reports of NETSL to board members and forward them to the Archivist; and conduct internal correspondence to the Board and NELA as needed.
- The Outreach Officer shall: send, in coordination with the President, publicity about NETSL programs and activities as; welcome new members; take minutes at meetings in the absence of the Secretary; and conduct external correspondence as needed.
- The Treasurer shall: oversee registration and finances for the Spring conference; and prepare a financial summary of the Spring conference.
- The Archivist, who is appointed by the President in consultation with the Vice-President/President Elect shall: archive all official records and reports of NETSL.
- Should a vacancy occur in any office, except that of Vice-President/President Elect, the Executive Board may appoint a person to serve for the unexpired term of that office. In the case of the office of Vice-President/President Elect the Executive Board may appoint a person to serve for the unexpired term of that office; the term of such appointive office shall be limited to that of the Vice-Presidency. The Executive Board shall then add a candidate for the office of President to the slate of candidates for the next ballot.
- There shall be an annual meeting, called the Fall Business Meeting, held in conjunction with the NELA Annual Conference, during which the new Executive Board shall be installed.
- There shall be a spring program held each year during which volunteers for NETSL office shall be solicited.
- Additional meetings may be called by the Executive Board.
- A quorum shall consist of those members present at any meeting called by the Executive Board.
- The Executive Board shall consist of the officers, the chairpersons of existing committees, the immediate Past President, and up to two Members-at-Large appointed by the President in consultation with the Vice-President/President Elect. The Executive Board shall advise the President. The Executive Board is empowered, within the guidelines set forth by NELA, to set goals for NETSL, choose annually the recipient of the NETSL awards, and authorize expenditures.
- The Executive Board shall meet at least four times each year.
- Elected Board officers are expected to attend meetings.
Standing and special committee are established as needed by the Board. Members are appointed by the President, often in conjunction with the Vice-President/President Elect. Standing and special committees are comprised of at least one person coordinated by an appointed chair. The goals and duration are determined by the President in conjunction with the Vice-President/President Elect and appointed members of the standing and special committees.
The rules contained in the latest edition of The Standard Code of Parliamentary Procedure shall govern the section in all cases to which they are applicable and in which they are not inconsistent with the Bylaws or special rules of the section.
- NETSL is affiliated with the Association for Library Collections and Technical Services (ALCTS) of the American Library Association without payment of annual dues.
- NETSL may affiliate with other associations by a vote of the majority of members voting by ballot.
- Any affiliation may be terminated by a vote of the majority of members voting by ballot.
These bylaws may be amended by a two-thirds vote of the members voting by ballot provided that the amendment, proposed by at least five NETSL members or by the Executive Board, has been submitted in writing to the President at least sixty days and to the membership at least thirty days prior to the deadline for return of ballots.