New England Technical Services Librarians (NETSL) Executive Board is seeking nominations for its annual NETSL Award for Excellence in Library Technical Services.
The NETSL Award recognizes and honors significant New England-based contributions to the field of library technical services. Eligible librarians include those who live outside of New England but whose service to the profession has impacted New England libraries, and those who reside in New England and have made contributions on a national level through publications, service, or innovations in practice.
NETSL wants to hear about those technical services librarians who have inspired others. Do you have a colleague who has tackled today’s challenges in technical services and triumphed? Do you know a person who leads the way in innovation, collaboration, or data integration? If you know someone who merits any or all of these descriptions, please consider submitting a nomination. You do not need to be a member of NETSL to make a nomination.
The next NETSL Award will be presented at the annual conference to be held on Monday, April 2, 2018 at the College of the Holy Cross in Worcester, MA.
Eligibility for nomination:
- Nominations must be accompanied by a written statement that includes the reasons for nomination and a narrative summary of the nominee’s career and achievements. The person’s resume or CV may be used to meet this requirement.
- Nominees are not required to be NETSL/NELA members.
- Current members of the NETSL Executive Board are not eligible for consideration.
Submit your nomination online by Friday, January 26, 2018. The Board reserves the right to suspend the Award for a year if no suitable candidate is nominated.
Further information, including past recipients, is available on the NETSL website: https://netsl.wordpress.com/award/.
Many thanks from the 2017/2018 NETSL Executive Board!
New Opportunities & Collaborations
with Technical Services
The NETSL Executive Board is seeking proposals for 60 minute breakout sessions (such as a panel discussion, workshop or skills training) and 7 minute lightning talks in accordance with our 2018 theme, New Opportunities & Collaborations with Technical Services.
Topics might include digital humanities, data management, migrations, automation, collaborating across units, cross training, technology skillsharing, troubleshooting, cataloging/metadata, preservation/digitization, and working with archives.
Speakers will receive complimentary registration to the 2018 NETSL Conference.
You can see titles of past presentations since 2005 at https://netsl.wordpress.com/netslconference.
When submitting your proposal, please have prepared:
- Session Title
- Presenter name(s) and affiliations
- Primary contact email address
- Session format (60 minute Breakout Session or 7 minute Lightning Talk)
- Brief summary (1-2 sentences) to be used in the program agenda
- Description of session (250-500 words), including 2-3 learning objectives or takeaways
- Type(s) of library addressed
- Other notes
The deadline for proposal submission is 5:00 p.m. EST on January 26, 2018. You will be notified about your proposal status in early February, and we will follow up with you about your technology needs at that time.
Please direct any questions to the NETSL Executive Board at email@example.com
Mark your calendars for the
NETSL 2018 Annual Spring Conference!
When: Monday, April 2, 2018
Where: College of the Holy Cross, Worcester, MA
Conference theme: New Opportunities & Collaborations with Technical Services
Keynote speaker: Marilyn Billings, Scholarly Communication and Special Initiatives Librarian, UMass Amherst Libraries
Call for proposals:
The NETSL Executive Board is seeking proposals for 60 minute breakout sessions (such as a panel discussion, workshop or skills training) and 7 minute lightning talks in accordance with our 2018 theme, New Opportunities & Collaborations with Technical Services. Topics might include:
- digital humanities
- data management
- collaborating across units
- cross training
- technology skill-sharing
- working with archives / institutional repositories
Speakers will receive complimentary registration to the 2018 NETSL Conference. You can see titles of past presentations since 2005 at https://netsl.wordpress.com/netslconference.
The deadline for proposal submission is 5 p.m. EST on Friday, January 26, 2018. Applicants will be notified about their proposal status in early February.
Registration will open in February 2018. Please visit https://netsl.wordpress.com for more information or email firstname.lastname@example.org and a board member will respond.
Thanks to everyone who voted!
NETSL’s Elections have closed, and we are pleased to announce our new executive board. The 2017/2018 Executive Board’s term will begin on October 25, 2017.
- President: Abigail S. Baines – Systems & Discovery Librarian, Hampshire College
- Past President: Kari Swanson – Technical Services Librarian, Southern Connecticut State University
- Vice President/President Elect: Kate Zdepski – Resource Sharing Librarian, University of Massachusetts Amherst
- Outreach Officer: Ann Kardos – Metadata Librarian, University of Massachusetts Amherst
- Secretary: Brittney Buckland – Head of Technical Services, Merrimack Public Library
- Treasurer: Yukari Sugiyama – Japanese Technical Services Librarian,
- Archivist: Meghan Banach Bergin – Coordinator, Bibliographic Access and Metadata Unit Information Resources Management Department, University of Massachusetts Amherst
- Local Arrangements Coordinator – Mary Moran, College of the Holy Cross
- Members at Large:
- Anne Meringolo – Technical Services Manager, New England Historic Genealogical Society
- Kristin D’Amato – Serials/Electronic Resources Librarian, Central Connecticut State University
Thanks to everyone who served in 2016/2017, we hope to see you all next spring at the conference!
Ballots will be accepted Tuesday September 5 – Tuesday September 19.
Access the ballot.
The NETSL Board is currently looking to fill several positions for its 2017/2018 Executive Board:
Elected Positions available include:
- Vice President/President Elect
- Outreach Officer
Appointed Positions available include:
- Member at Large
- Student Member at Large
To learn more about these positions, check out their job descriptions
The deadline to submit your candidacy is Friday 28 July. To submit your candidacy, fill out this nomination form.